From the Beginning 1958 -Present 2015
Now therefore give me this mountain whereof the Lord spake in that day; and Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneth Hebron for an inheritance. JOSHUA 14:12-13.
It is INDEED a privilege to have the honor of sharing with you a part of the original story and some of my many experiences in the ongoing historical development and accomplishments of this church.
This scripture served as an inspiring revelation to one Rev. Johnnie J. Roberson. Under the direction of the Lord, through this revelation he called a meeting at 4902 Brinkley Street. This, the home of Rev. and Mrs. J. J. Roberson at the time was on the verge of serving a special purpose. That night January 8, 1958 at 8:00 P.M., Rev. Roberson read a scripture, offered up a moving prayer, and officially opened the meeting to organize a new church.
In STUDYING Joshua 14, Caleb was given the land of Hebron because Moses vowed it to him and his family in return for his loyalty. During the battles of the Israelites to regain their Promised Land, Caleb was a devoted spy. Though Moses had passed, Joshua honored his promise to this faithful servant. Honoring faithfulness, stewardship, and promises; this passage served as a revelation to Rev. Roberson that he would name this new church Mt. Hebron Baptist Church.
Mt. Hebron therefore became the inheritance of our pastor up until the church's 50th anniversary. An inheritance gained because Rev. Roberson wholly followed the Lord God of Israel. They realized if Jesus was in their midst, nothing would be impossible.
Those first humble services were held in the garage of the pastors home. During those first two (2) years or so, the membership grew rapidly from its inception of (16) to four hundred and fifty (450) members. By early 1962, despite struggles with an opposing Civic Club, through the Civil Rights Era, through segregation and desegregation, our pastor and members chose a new site for the Mt. Hebron home. On November 16, 1961, the membership moved into a $43,000.00 sanctuary at 7721 Calhoun Road.
The scripture read at the organizational meeting was Nehemiah 4:1-6. This gives an ACCOUNT of how the walls of Jericho were rebuilt. It was amazingly rebuilt because the people had a mind to work. From her conception in 1958 until now 2007,Mt. Hebronites have demonstrated their mind to work. About two years after moving into her home, the services were packed so often and the membership was growing numerically and spiritually, that 1964 added an extension valued at $45,000.00. IMPROVEMENTS to that building included pews, carpeting and Educational Building valuing $159,000.00. Through the cooperative spirit of these members, through pledges, donations at teas, dramas, musicals and a number of fund-raising activities, our members demonstrated the dedication of their works. Their work was for the ongoing of Gods Kingdom.
1968 made our new financial obligations. The young church was then on the verge of her teen years. For the next ten (10) years, her debts would be settled, along with her growing involvement with sister churches and the surrounding community. She would continue to follow the Lord God wholly. By the grace of God, many great things were accomplished. Through wisdom is a house builded; and by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious riches. Proverbs 24:3-4.
The word of God CONTINUED to go out, people hungry for the truth, direction and fellowship continued to come in. Again a new building plan was necessary and established. Our pastor, once again in obedience to the Lord, directed his flock to enter a new sanctuary and burn the MORTGAGE note simultaneously. In 1982, on our entering service, the $600,000.00 MORTGAGE was paid in full. The second building has since been dedicated as the J. J. ROBERSON FELLOWSHIP HALL. It functions as the place for weekly meetings. It also easily converts into a dining room for serving some of Houstons finest banquets and receptions.
Three years after moving into our present edifice (1985) an even greater addition was initiated. To the rear of the building is a complete Educational/Cafeteria Building. It is equipped with twelve (12) classrooms on the second level, lounges and a cafeteria with steam tables and complete kitchen. Through many prayers and much hard work this structure is now fully operational and occupied. Our church has previously offered meals FOR SENIOR CITIZENS with a Bible CLASS and we have had a Boy Scouts Troop.
We currently have a Mens basketball team, Boys basketball team and Volleyball team. This spirit-filled, humble servant taught and preached sound Christian doctrine which demanded respect from all, and moved the church into the forefront of the Christian Community locally, statewide and nationally. Our pastor is the 1st Vice Moderator of Independent Missionary Baptist General Association of Texas (IMBGA-TX)and President of The Baptist Ministers Association of Houston (BMA-Houston)and Vicinity and they meet every Tuesday here with breakfast served. In 1992 we were blessed to buy an apartment complex with 27 units and in 1996 we opened a washateria on site. Since 1996 we have been blessed to have our Mt. Hebron Academy which is an alternative SCHOOL for grades 1 through 5.
God has once again smiled on Mt. Hebron, as He has allowed us to pay off our apartment complex, have a pipe organ INSTALLED in the sanctuary with expansion to the pulpit and purchase 75 acres of land in Brazoria County for $180,000.00. God has blessed us to accomplish this with no added notes.
In this new millennium we have updated our OFFICE equipment and our sound system in the sanctuary with the ability to tape services and play tapes and CDs. March 27, 2005 we were able to break ground on our J. J. Roberson Family Life Center which includes a full court gymnasium, fully equipped weight room, conference room, COMPUTER room, library, men and women restrooms with lockers and showers, arts & crafts room, two administration OFFICES and a civic club room. This construction was started May 2006 and with Gods blessings March 27, 2007 we had our Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. Since the entrance into the Family Life Center we have been blessed to hold activities such as Basketball Camps, Showers, Memorial Services, Obama victory parties just to name a few.
Mt. Hebron, wewill continue to put God first. On December 30, 2007, Dr. J. J. Roberson the founding Pastor preached his last sermon as the Pastor of Mt. Hebron Missionary Baptist Church and retired with the church electing Rev. Max A. Miller, Jr. as his successor on January 13, 2008.
Rev. Max A. Miller, Jr. was officially installed as the new Pastor of the Mount. We must continue to obey Him, to trust Him, and to lean and depend on God for our every need. The words of the Lord as recorded in Matthew 6:33 keep coming to mind: But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Whatever tasks we have had, whatever tasks are to come; we will follow Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. He has promised Lo, I am with you always. God has attributed to this unity over 1,200 members and 753 families.
Thank you founders! Thank you for this church you helped create for the noble principles of Jesus Christ which helped you to endow it...for the true vision which launched it on its course through the years. What yo so wisely built, founders, the members of Mt. Hebron will guard and cherish forever.
Listen to our Weekly Broadcast Every Sunday at 1:30 pm on Gospel 1360 AM -KWWJ